Army identifies stays of Newfoundland soldier killed in Belgium in 1917


The Canadian navy says it has recognized the stays of a younger soldier from Newfoundland who died on a First World Conflict battlefield in Belgium in 1917.

The stays of Pte. John Lambert of St. John’s, a 17-year-old member of the Newfoundland Regiment, had been found throughout an archeological dig in April 2016, close to the city of Langemark.

Advertisement

Historic and scientific analysis led to a optimistic identification and notification of Lambert’s surviving kin.

READ MORE: Canadian Armed Forces deployed to Saskatchewan in emergency response to COVID-19

The navy says Lambert lied about his age and was solely 16 when he enlisted within the Newfoundland Regiment on Aug. 14, 1916.

Advertisement

He skilled in Scotland and was serving with the first Battalion of the Newfoundland Regiment when he was killed in motion on Aug. 16, 1917 in the course of the Battle of Langemarck.

Story continues beneath commercial

Advertisement

The Canadian Armed Forces confirmed in the present day that Lambert shall be buried on the Commonwealth Conflict Graves Fee’s New Irish Farm Cemetery in West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.


Click to play video 'Missing soldier’s remains identified at U.S. military base Fort Hood'



Lacking soldier’s stays recognized at U.S. navy base Fort Hood


Lacking soldier’s stays recognized at U.S. navy base Fort Hood – Jul 7, 2020



Advertisement


© 2020 The Canadian Press


Advertisement



Advertisement