ALLAN WERNICK: Inexperienced card holders ought to apply for a reentry allow in the event that they plan on spending greater than six months overseas

Each time a everlasting resident returns from journey overseas, a CBP officer can ask whether or not the individual deserted his or her residence. Journeys overseas of six steady months or much less are hardly ever an issue. For journeys of greater than six steady months overseas, the officer might want proof that the individual didn’t abandon U.S. residence. For journeys overseas of a yr or longer, it’s greatest if you happen to apply for a Reentry Allow earlier than leaving. That can will let you be overseas for as much as two years. If it’s essential be overseas longer, return earlier than the 2 years are up and apply for a brand new allow.